Re: setup revisit

> Yes - and thats the intelligence thats in the apt* tools for debian, and
> to a certain extent rpmfind for rpm packages.

The intelligence is in the people who put the packages together, and
try to predict the problems that users have.  The packaging of that
intelligence is secondary.  Plus, there's a lot of registry stuff,
desktop setup, and mount table stuff to deal with.

> > No, it meant that any copy of setup needed the sources to gzip and tar
> > to be distributed with it.
>
> Whew, that does make it easier. (Hangon, setup.exe is GPL'd - why
> doesn't the same issue apply to it?)

It does.  The problem was that there was already a set of tar/gzip
sources in cygwin, and they were *not* the right sources for the
versions in setup, so you end up with *two* sets of tar/gzip sources.

> So, the link to download setup.exe sources, includes the source trees
> for the embedded programs?

Setup currently does not include tar or gzip sources.  I used zlib and
wrote my own tar extractor.  Tar's a pretty trivial format.

> cannot choose uninstall or skip a a package). Once they are done, the
> rpm based installed is launched within the cygwin environment.

So, instead of one setup program, the user would run two?