Re: jik, cwilson, earnie -- show stoppers

Hi!

Thursday, 06 September, 2001 Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu wrote:

CW> I'm at a total loss, Chris. I can no longer reproduce "my" error -- EVEN
CW> when using the SAME cygwin1.dll that crashed before, using the same
CW> sequence of events that previously *always* triggered a crash (at some
CW> random point during the build).  Does that mean the bug is fixed, in the
CW> absence of any patches?  Of course not.  But I can't help debug it
CW> anymore, because I have nothing to debug!

CW> Now, fortunately for all of us, Egor (somehow) seems to have reproduced
CW> "my" problem on his machine, and supplied a patch that seems to fix it.
CW>   On his machine.  If the bug he is seeing is the same as the one I used
CW> to see, but don't see any longer.  I dunno if Egor's patch fixes *my*
CW> bug on *my* machine, since my machine magically fixed itself.  Without
CW> changing anything.

CW> Bleah.  (I'm a bit frustrated.  Can you tell?)

CW> I'm willing to do what I can to help with this -- but how CAN I?  The
CW> bug dissappeared!  (Seriously, I'm open to suggestions....)

as i mentioned in cygwin-patches@, the problem was that buffer for
security descriptor was only 256 bytes while actual descriptor was 268
bytes (and it triggers only at file creation!). this situation is very
sensitive to the layout of your file system, permission propagation
bits etc., which could be easily disappear as your file system change.

Btw, i've found it while testing several new tests for testsuite :).
Unfortunately, the test that failed was test for select() and it
seems that it's yet another pure coincidence that it triggered this
bug. I'll check new tests in today, and it'd be interesting if someone
else could reproduce this bug as well.