Re: cygwin slowdown in current cvs version -- need a volunteer

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 01:32:42PM -0400, Norman Vine wrote:
>Christopher Faylor writes:
>>>
>>Can someone volunteer to run regressions like this when I announce that
>>1.3.3 is about to be released?  I did run the test suite this time but
>>I would like someone else to be doing this.
>
>>I'd like to see someone running cygwin regression tests on a regular
>>basis.  Will anyone volunteer?
>>
>>This essentially entails running "make check" in the winsup/testsuite
>>directory and will involve coming up with some kind of method of timing
>>cygwin.  Maybe just a build of cygwin and/or newlib is adequate.
>
>Chris
>
>I already almost do this on a ~'weekly' basis
>
>I already record the time it takes to do a fresh
>configure make install
>on the files garnered from
>cvs co winsup
>
>so I just need to add the additional make check
>inside of another timer wrapper in my python script.
>
>what kind of report do we want ??

I don't have any real preference.  It would probably be best if you
could just come up with something and let us gently suggest
improvements.

Any way that you could do this more frequently than weekly?  After
I sent my email, I was thinking that something which automatically
did this on a daily basis would help us quickly find regressions.

gcc does something like this already and it seems to be relatively
effective.

The keyword here, though, is "automatic".  If you have to remember
to do it, then that sounds like a big imposition.  IMO, It'll also be
more likely to be reliable if you remove the human element as much
as possible.

Thanks for volunteering!