Re: CVS branches RFC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Earnie Boyd" <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
To: "CD List" <Cygwin-Developers@Cygwin.Com>
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 6:02 AM
Subject: Re: CVS branches RFC

> Robert Collins wrote:
> >
> > * cvsmerge grabs the most recent changes from a parent branch and
> > applies them to the branch of the current working dir.
>
> And this is used for what purpose?  Would it be something like: two
> developers working the same branch synchronizing their changes?

No, CVS does that when you commit and update within a single branch.

Consider this:
HEAD
\-cygwin_daemon

I find a pthreads bug, and fix it. As it's a production bug the fix goes
into HEAD. I can
a) reapply the fix to cygwin_daemon, or
b) use cvsmerge to get the changes made to HEAD applied to
cygwin_daemon, which will include that fix.

If Chris fixes something, b) is the _only_ way I'll get the fix
reliably.

cvsmerge grabs _all_ the changes to the parent branch and applies them.

If there are conflicts you get a log to examine and an instruction to
correct the warnings before exiting the sub-shell that has been invoked.

It's only not appropriate to merge these changes down if you are forking
the development - which we are not. Therefore we want all the HEAD fixes
and improvements in any development branches.

Rob