Re: A quick note on <newlib.h>

Christopher Faylor wrote:

[SNIP]

This is one of the reasons that I'm getting sick of our dependency on
newlib.  I've asked that cygwin be taken into account when making
changes like this but, the last I heard, the newlib guys were stalled
trying to accommodate my request since the two year old gcc cross
compiler that they insist on using is no longer able to build cygwin.

Sneak into their office and "assist" them in an upgrade :-). Or better yet, put 'em in thier place via a live demonstration showing how wrong they are.

It's easy enough to add another include path to cygwin but I'm not sure
that I want to do that.  I think, instead, I'm going to start thinking
about how we can eliminate our dependency on newlib.

I know this has been talked about to death, but in light of your comments I feel it is appropriate to revisit the matter. Although not a trivial task, perhaps we should seriously consdier switching to glibc? After all, it is the gnu standard, yet another RedHat (cygnus) hosted project, and seems, athough this isn't currently being exercised, more apt to handle multiple platforms with varied configurations. Plus, it seems to be lightyears ahead of newlib in the various levels of Posix and SUS compliance. Not only that, but the documentation is *so* much more complete. Admittedly it is bulky, but who says we have to use everything? IIRC, most of the bulk is due to massive i18n support, which is, for the most part, handled by other external libraries. I know what you're thinking, but before you write me off as a k00k, take a moment to considier the pros and cons. Just my opinion though, so feel free to disagree.

Cheers,
Nicholas