Re: Avoiding /etc/passwd and /etc/group scans

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:47:31PM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> The same person who chided me was indicating that setup.exe was somehow
>> creating files that were incorrect or that cygwin was unable to execute
>> files with .exe extensions.  I don't really understand what's going on.
>
>The "incorrect" may be from the absent -d
>I don't understand the non executable .ex, although an "ls -l" that
>does not show the x is understandable.

I guess I have to look at the code.  A file with a .exe extension is
supposed to be executable by default.  It should even show up as -x.

>> Does it make sense that someone would have to properly generate
>> /etc/passwd and also turn off ntsec in order for things to work again?
>
>There is a possibility in a multi domain environment that a user will deal
>with files owned by a sid that does not appear in the output of a plain
>mkpasswd -d. One would have to do mkpasswd -d specific-domains to have
>correct display in "ls -l" and to chmod such a file (that's one thing I
>know how to make work without running multiple mkpasswd).
>Turning off ntsec is then an easy  way out.

Hmm.  Interesting.  I don't think this is the scenario we're seeing in
the mailing list, though.  I don't recall people mentioning multiple
domains.

Do you have an idea about why a fresh install on a new system would have
problems?  Is this merely because there is no mkpasswd -d happening?