Re: Avoiding /etc/passwd and /etc/group scans

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 07:31, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> Nope.  setup isn't a cygwin app, so...
> >> cgf
> >
> >And because ntsec wasn't the default we couldn't set reasonable acls...
>
> Why would that matter?  If setting reasonable acls is going to hurt the
> CYGWIN=nontsec case then that's not good either.

We need /etc/passwd and /etc/group to be filled out to understand what
nt group and user to use. Setup.exe's files by default are executable by
'everyone'.

If we can depend on a correct /etc/passwd we should be able to do
something. We will need to have a postinstall script for cygwin1.dll
that sets the permissions on cygwin1.dll, mkpasswd and mkpgroup, and
ensure that that script runs first, but that is all (off the top of my
head - may be wrong :})

Rob
--
---