Shell scripts [was Re: Avoiding /etc/passwd and /etc/group scans]

At 05:33 PM 10/22/2002 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>About the shell scripts, I will look at your patch tonight.

Chris

All your changes in fhandler_disk_file.cc are in the branch
with get_file_attribute () != 0,
Thus they do not apply to successful calls with ntsec.
In fact they apply mainly to nontsec.
What did you try to change in that case?

>>Why do you want to be different from regular Unix and report x
>>just because the file starts with #! ?
>>Why not force the user to chmod +x the scripts, for them to be
>>executable?
>
>I am just trying to minimize the impact on users.  For purity sake,
>I'd rather leave things as they were, actually.

OK, it would be very disturbing to change the behavior of scripts
and suddenly force them to have an ACL allowing execution in order
to execute them.
But what needs to be changed in the mode display?
Actually I would also rather leave things as they were!

At first I was afraid you would always show x for scripts, even when
ntsec is on. IMHO this would be a bad idea. For example chmod would start
behaving unexpectedly.

Pierre