Re: Want to release 1.3.16

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 01:27:44AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 11:32:15PM -0600, Steve O wrote:
> >in an rxvt, or xterm:
> >cat /bin/cygwin1.dll
> >
> >This hangs for me with the CVS version as of 8pm 20021122 on XP.
>
> And it does what with cygwin 1.3.15?

It hangs there too, but I think you knew that.

Chris,

The cygwin tty code has cases where it can deadlock.
These deadlocks cause rxvt to hang, and for people
to suspect that rxvt is a crappy program.  I want to
fix this.

I have spent a considerable amount of effort understanding
the cygwin tty code and in trying different solutions to
the problem, and have submitted what I believe to be
the simplest correct solution.  If I have chosen a poor
solution in your view, I'm happy to try again.  If you
don't feel comfortable having other people touch this
low level code, that's ok too, I can point out where
the problems are and you can implement the fix.  Whatever
works.

Enlarging the tty IO buffers pushes one of the deadlock
problems out to where most people won't go, but in to
a stranger land where an expect script suddenly freezes
for no apparent reason.  And, the above test demonstrates
that a very simple command can still trigger these deadlocks.

It has been several months since I started on this, and
I'm happy that at last people will be able to paste text,
but the underlying problems still remain.  What should I
do to get this fixed?

-steve