Re: True case-sensitive filenames

Gerald S. Williams wrote:
Earnie Boyd wrote:

The argument has nothing to do with Windows vs Unix.

I told you I'm not taking sides. Adding support for
POSIX-compatible naming simply makes porting of Unix
applications easier.

Easier != portable. My arugment is for portability and regardless of how much hand standing you do in Cygwin it's still not portable.

Consider that a change like this requires retesting on
every platform, some of which may not be available to
the maintainer. If the code has remained unchanged for
ages and runs on a myriad of Unices, requesting this
type of change for portability's sake can be quite a
hard sell. And bringing those types of applications to
Windows is something that Cygwin does extremely well.

Oh, I know that selling the idea of portability is tough. However, changing a file name isn't changing functionality.

BTW, versions of cygwin before B18 did support some idea of this topic that was removed. Although it's implementation wasn't using NTFS functionality. Obviously, then it caused more problems than it was worth spending time on.

Earnie.