Re: cygthread::cygthread() hang

Christopher Faylor wrote:

Is there any way to avoid them?  For example, on a pipe read, does
Windows have something like select() so that the reader thread can wait
for a "terminate yourself" or a "data can be read from the pipe"
condition?

If there was something like that, don't you think I'd be using it rather
than this kludge?  I instituted this change after all of the complaints
about pipe reads being slow.  This sped up reads but at the expense of
using TerminateThread, with all that entails.

Is there something wrong with using ReadFileEx and WriteFileEx to do overlapped I/O? The main thread can then use WaitForMultipleObjects and wait for signals OR I/O completion on the pipe (signalled by the callback routine). -- Joe Buehler