Re: what's left for 1.5.0

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 09:39:33AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 09:17:44AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> >On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 09:38:14PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >> My feeling is that this is very long standing cygwin behavior so
> >> I'm not entirely comfortable just nuking it.
> >
> >Me too, but IMO something needs to be done.  FWIW, this "very long
> >standing cygwin behavior" was changed from SIGHUP to SIGINT in the
> >following:
> >
> >    2001-07-25  Kazuhiro Fujieda  <fujieda@jaist.ac.jp>
> >
> >        * exception.cc (ctrl_c_handler): Send SIGTERM to myself when
> >        catch CTRL_SHUTDOWN_EVENT.
>
> SIGINT?  I don't see a SIGINT.

Oops, sorry, typo.  I meant SIGTERM.

> Are you saying that sending SIGHUP would be better?

In general, no.  However, it should be better for the PostgreSQL case.
IIRC, when Corinna first added cygrunsrv's --termsig and --shutdown
options, I verified that PostgreSQL could tolerate the SIGHUP arriving
before SIGINT.  Note that this was under NT 4.0 or 2000 -- not XP.

> Anyway, it sounds like we need to hear from Kazuhiro Fujieda.

Kazuhiro Fujieda please chime in.

> >> Who knows what is relying on it?
> >
> >I share the above concern too.  However, only services can rely on this
> >behavior.  Additionally, it is likely only services that have been
> >ported to be true NT services (i.e., do not run under cygrunsrv) could
> >be affected.  The set of such services is most likely very small --
> >possibly only containing inetd.
>
> It's possible to run any raw cygwin app as a service, right?

But only if the app is ported to call the SCM API (i.e., a true NT
service) or wrapped by something like cygrunsrv.  Since the ones wrapped
by cygrunsrv can be fixed without modifying the application source,
aren't only the true NT services the ones to be concerned about?

Thanks,
Jason