Re: time for 1.5.11?

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> > >...And moments after I sent the above I found the culprit (I think).
> > >Seems like fhandler_dsp::dup() neglects to call fhandler_base::dup(), so
> > >the IO handle is unset.  It should be a trivial 1-line patch, but just in
> > >case, can someone with a copyright assignment take care of this?
> >
> > You should be safe if it is really a one line patch.  Don't you want to
> > get your name into the Cygwin changelog limelight?
> >
> > cgf
>
> Ok, it turns out that to fix this properly, we'll need a much larger patch
> than the one line I was looking at...  Here are some thoughts.
>
> First off, my guess above was wrong.  The IO handle has nothing to do with
> this -- fhandler_dev_dsp doesn't use it.  However, the intuition (I still
> think) was correct: some fields, namely the audio_in_ and audio_out_
> pointers, weren't replicated on dup(), so the new (duped) object ended up
> with NULL fields, and couldn't write to them.
>
> The simplest solution to the above is to simply copy the pointers.  This
> will work for the test program I provided earlier, but won't for another
> legitimate test program (attached) that closes the original handle before
> using the duped one (I think this behavior is allowed).
>
> The "proper" way to fix this, IMO, would be to allow sharing the audio_in_
> and audio_out_ objects, and have some sort of reference count in them,
> instead of deleting them outright in close().  I'm not sure this will
> cover the situations when a process is spawned (e.g., fork), but it should
> suffice for redirection.  This, however, promises to be a non-trivial
> patch.
>
> Comments?
> 	Igor

Ok, some more data here.  I have a reference count patch ready (the
assignment's in the mail).  However, there's some weird data race going on
with it.  If I insert a "sleep(2)" just before each "close(dst)"  in the
attached testcase, it works.  But if I attempt to close the /dev/dsp file
without the sleep (before the data has finished going out to the card?), I
get memory and/or stack corruption (SEGVs or 100% CPU due to huge bogus
lengths in memcpy).  I have trouble catching it, since without the delay
the stack becomes corrupted, and a step-by-step execution causes a delay,
and thus succeeds.

Given that it works with the sleep(), I think I'm going to send the patch
for review anyway (later), but I'd like to track this down -- there's
something there that's thread-unsafe, apparently, and looks like my
changes either caused or exposed this.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/