Re: 1.5.14 release notes

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 12:21:39AM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >I have a patch in the pipeline (i.e., the legal stuff being processed)
> >that fixes an issue with check_case:strict and trailing dots/spaces.
> >Could we hold off the release until Monday afternoon, at least, to give me
> >a chance to send in the patch?  If anyone is interested, I could post the
> >symptoms and cause of the problem without the patch earlier.
>
> Let me get this straight:  You want me to hold off a release for something
> that I've previously mentioned that I wish would go away?
>
> Er, no.  I don't think so.

And I've previously mentioned that I find check_case:strict extremely
useful.  Useful enough that I would be willing to diagnose
"check_case:strict"-related problems and send in patches.  Unfortunately,
at the moment the legal hassle (from my side) of sending each patch in is
quite overwhelming.  I'm working on changing that, but the going is slow.
I'm hoping that soon I would be able to send patches with much less
turnaround time.

> It would have to be a pretty serious problem for me to even consider making
> a change to the path_conv code at this point anyway.

Ok, let me elaborate a bit.  This is not the PATH problem I mentioned
earlier (which, AFAICS, required an extensive change to the code but had a
workaround).  The current problem is that, when "check_case:strict" is in
effect, one cannot create files by using the name with a trailing dot.  I
already have a diagnosis and a patch, which will be sent in as soon as the
copyright release is faxed to Red Hat (did I mention it was a hassle?).
FWIW, the change is to the code that is only invoked when
check_case:strict is in effect (so the main path will not be slowed down).

The current code worked just fine while the trailing dots/spaces were
stripped.  When the change was made to the code that strips trailing dots,
the case checking code wasn't updated to accommodate that, and thus is now
broken.  My patch fixes the code so that it no longer makes an assumption
about stripping trailing dots.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT