Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Quoting Charles Wilson <cygwin@cwilson.fastmail.fm>:

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 06:01:37PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
Yep. A few things off the top of my head:

1) the shells need to install both in /bin and /usr/bin. This is up to the individual maintainers when they build their -1.7 versions, but to take on super-duper important shell:
Or "tough. you want to run /bin/bash, ensure /usr/bin is in your PATH"

Yes.

Geez. This was the really-just-a-joke-WJM response. Doing this will cause no END of trouble and lots of FAQs. It means I can't have a shortcut whose target is
"C:/cygwin17/bin/bash -e somescript"
or even
"cmd /k C:/cygwin17/bin/bash.exe -e somescript"
unless my environment settings (either system or personal) force /usr/bin into my PATH (otherwise /bin/bash can't find cygintl-8.dll and friends).

The heartburn can be solved with an /etc/profile. Set PATH in it and you're done. Changing the PATH to the user liking should be done in the ~/.profile file.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/