Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Quoting Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>:

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Earnie Boyd wrote:

Quoting Charles Wilson <cygwin@cwilson.fastmail.fm>:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 06:01:37PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > > Yep. A few things off the top of my head:
> > >
> > > 1) the shells need to install both in /bin and /usr/bin. This is up to
> > > the individual maintainers when they build their -1.7 versions, but to
> > > take on super-duper important shell:
> > > Or "tough. you want to run /bin/bash, ensure /usr/bin is in your PATH"
>                               ^^^^              ^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Geez. This was the really-just-a-joke-WJM response. Doing this will
> cause no END of trouble and lots of FAQs. It means I can't have a
> shortcut whose target is
>   "C:/cygwin17/bin/bash -e somescript"
> or even
>   "cmd /k C:/cygwin17/bin/bash.exe -e somescript"
> unless my environment settings (either system or personal) force /usr/bin
> into my PATH (otherwise /bin/bash can't find cygintl-8.dll and friends).

The heartburn can be solved with an /etc/profile.  Set PATH in it and
you're done.  Changing the PATH to the user liking should be done in the
~/.profile file.

On Windows it can't. To be able to run the application, the Windows loader needs to be able to access all of the dependent DLLs (unless they are dlopen'ed). So, if some DLLs are not in the PATH, bash wouldn't run far enough to execute /etc/profile.

By definition of /bin, /bin/bash should only depend on binaries (a dll is a binary) in /bin.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/