Re: Updated: 1.7.0-34 (...and a plea)

Hi,

I just uploaded a cygwin-1.7.0-34 release which contains mostly bug
fixes to the IP resolver lib, signal handling and handling of special
characters in registry paths, the latter actually a missing forward
port of a functionality already available in 1.5.25.

Additionally this release contains a change to the opendir/readdir
family of functions.  Thanks to Christian Franke it now supports the
d_type field in struct dirent returned by readdir.  Supported are
all values known from Linux, but actually used are just DT_DIR, DT_FILE,
and DT_UNKNOWN right now.  Any other flag would probably slow down
the readdir code unnecessarily.

As it is now, find and ls built with d_type support will be already much
faster scanning directories recursively.

Good news on the documentation side.  I finally finished the ntsec
documentation for 1.7.  See

  http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net.html and
  http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html

On the not so bright side, I'm a bit disappointed that only few
maintainers are actually rebuilding their applications for 1.7.  All
applications will probably profit at least from the now long pathnames
up to 32K.  And many network related applications will profit from IPv6
support and the new getaddrinfo family of functions.

With the http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe tool you can easily install two
different Cygwin trees on the same machine for quite some time now.
They don't interact with each other neither in a good nor in a bad way.
You can even run them in parallel in two different console windows
without any bad interaction.  Isn't that a good reason to start porting
to 1.7?

Btw., does anything speak against opening Cygwin up for public testing
on the Cygwin main list?

Have fun,