Documentation on building a cross-compiler for the cygwin target

I want to make another pass through the Cygwin/X documentation to revise it. Currently in the Contributor's Guide, there is an ancient section on cross-compiling the X server (which in itself needs attention), which includes instructions on building a cross-compiler.

I want to remove those instructions, as there isn't anything particularly specific to X about them, but since it is the first google result when searching for "cygwin crosscompiler", I feel I should try to preserve the small amount of useful information it contains somewhere.

Some time ago, I made an attempt at updating that section, and converting it into an addition to the Programming section of the Cygwin User's Guide.

I don't feel overly qualified to write this, but I've tried not to focus quite so much on how to download files from the internet and change directory, and more on what should be done and why.

I've just given it another review, so, for discussion, a patch is attached, and for those that are more comfortable reading text in a browser rather as than raw SGML, I've uploaded the HTML produced at [2]

Now, I'm not sure this is the right approach. At the very least, I think this needs another pass to change to using a sysroot, following the example given in Charles Wilson's most helpful mail [3], but I'm not sure if the whole thing isn't superfluous, given that email. Certainly, removing all the example shell commands and referring to a script seems like a good idea, not least because it makes it much easier to check that the instructions actually work. :-)

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/cg/prog-build-cross.html
[2] http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/cross.html
[3] http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-09/msg00194.html