Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 17:58 -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> Today, Cygwin DLLs all have the form cyg$SONAME.dll. In a 64-bit Cygwin,
> 32-bit DLLs would retain this naming convention and 64-bit DLLs would be
> named cyg64$SONAME.dll.

1) A similar naming scheme for mingw64 was already rejected.
2) Accomodating the "cyg" prefix is hard enough; using different naming
schemes for x86 and x64 would be a disaster.

I still don't see a pressing need for multilib in the first place.
Linux distros do it only with a handful of libraries needed for running
third-party binaries; that use case doesn't really apply to Cygwin, so
why would we need it?

> As for the choice between LP64 and LLP64 --- would it be evil to make
> long 64-bit, but define DWORD, LONG, ULONG and so on to be 32 bits wide?
> This way, both Windowsish and POSIXish code will continue to work fine.

That seems to be the consensus, and it makes sense.

Yaakov