Re: 64 bit Cygwin target and _WIN64

On Jul 19 10:52, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:33:05AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Jul 18 16:52, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 03:11:05PM -0500, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
BTW, __CYGWIN32__ will still be defined on x64, right?

Maybe it's time to retire that one.

I would prefer it as well, but I am a bit concerned that there are still projects using it. I just googled for __CYGWIN32__ and the third hit was this one:

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/svn/trunk/boinc/lib/boinc_win.h

I don't know if that's representative, but still...

I know that there is stuff that probably uses it but keeping it around for a 64-bit Windows compiler doesn't make any sense.

Well, _WIN32 is defined on 64 bit windows as well. If you build an application which uses __CYGWIN32__ to decide whether it's built for Cygwin, it will be broken when built under 64 bit Cygwin.

The question is if we deliberately don't define it to enforce using
__CYGWIN__.  I have no strong opinion, but I'm wondering if it's
worth the hassle.  It doesn't cost us anything but might help other
projects along which worked fine the last couple of years.

I'd vote for removing __CYGWIN32__ unless there's a need to keep it. Having multiple defines available that effectively mean the same thing makes it confusing to anyone picking this stuff up, either in old code or working on a new port. Better to have a minimal set of defines so it's clear what they are there for. But that's just my opinion.

--
Larry