Re: Resurrect discussion: Mixing 32 and 64 bit distro

Indeed.  Building packages on behalf of a maintainer only having a 32
bit system should not be much of a problem.  Also, the build farm for 64
bit is a good idea, and our dept at Red Hat is inclined to provide it.

But instead of a farm, it might be even sufficient to provide a simple
mechanism for maintainers to build their package on a 64 bit machine via
mail:

Send your cygport file to cygwin-64-build-package AT redhat DOT com, and
a dedicated 64 bit Cygwin machine will try to build your package.
Results of the cygport output via mail reply. On success, packages will
be uploaded to sourceware automatically.  Using this mechanism would
just require to use cygport for packaging and everybody

two step please, building alone does not guarantee it is good enough for upload

Ok, so far we have three voices for keeping 32 and 64 bit separate,
one voice for mixing them, and one being very unsure.

Any more input?

I prefer the separate way. Already MS is not very good in mixing the things, so we should avoid unstable workaround to make 32 and 64 bit working together.

Corinna

Marco