Re: Latest 64 bit test stuff on sourceware

On 2013-02-16 13:16, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb 15 17:22, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Feb 15 16:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I just uploaded all the latest 64 bit stuff to
>>> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/
>>
>> I just added a few packages to that site.  [...]
>
> This morning I changed the layout of the aforementioned dir.  The
> toplevel only contains the non-native stuff:
>
>   binary-toolchain-x86_64-pc-linux-x-x86_64-pc-cygwin-20130215.tar.xz
>   bootstrap.sh
>   x86_64-pc-cygwin-binutils-20130215.patch
>   x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc-20130215.patch
>
> There's a new subdir called install, I filled with the packages require
> to get us up to speed.  Except for mintty, which I borrowed from Andi,
> and mingw-gdb, which Kai built for us, I cross built all of them on
> Linux to collect a basic set of tools we need to build and debug
> subsequent packages.
>
> None of these packages is fit for a distro, but they should basically
> work, and especially help to create distro packages, for instance, all
> the library packages missing yet (libintl, libiconv, libreadline, etc).
> At least typical configure scripts should run now.
>
> Here's the list of packages I prepared:
>
>   base-cygwin-toolchain-install-first-20130216.x86_64.tar.xz
>   coreutils-8.14-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>   dash-0.5.7-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>   file-5.11-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>   findutils-4.5.9-2.x86_64.tar.xz
>   gawk-4.0.2-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>   grep-2.6.3-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>   m4-1.4.16-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>   make-3.82-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>   md5.sum
>   mingw-gdb.x86_64.tar.xz
>   mintty-r1295.x86_64.tar.xz
>   rebase-4.4.0-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>   sed-4.2.1-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>   tar-1.26-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>   tcsh-6.18.01-1.x86_64.tar.xz
>
> For installation, start with untar'ing the base-cygwin-* package, which
> contains cygwin itself and the native toolchain.  Then untar all the
> other packages on top if it.  In the end, you have dash/sh, and tcsh to
> work with.  What you need to provide yourself are passwd and group
> files, as well as fstab and personal profiles to fit your needs.

Hi!

I tried this out a little bit. Neat stuff!

Some comments:

1. base-cygwin...tar.xz puts its binaries in /bin, but gcc
et al expects to be in /usr/bin (I think, at least that was
the case in the previous version of that tarball). The other
tarballs but their binaries in /usr/bin. The default mounts:

$ mount
C:/Cygwin/opt/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/Cygwin/opt/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/Cygwin/opt on / type ntfs (binary,auto)

"joins" /bin and /usr/bin as usual but I have found that it's
probably best to explode all tarballs, then move all of
x:\...\usr\bin to x:\...\bin and then do PATH=/usr/bin.
At least that was my remedy for gcc not finding its stuff (it
doesn't like PATH=/bin) and mintty not finding sh when I
double-click it. Or is there a way to explode the
non-base-tarballs from inside the cygwin64 instance so that
the /usr/bin stuff ends up in the same windows x:\...\bin
folder as the base like it should?

This issue feels like it's something I've misunderstood.

2. A configure script I ran hit a snag because
"gcc conftest.c -lc" failed with a missing libc. I know -lc
isn't needed, but it works with plain old non-64-cygwin. I could
get past it by seeding the cache, so it's not a show-stopper (at
least not in this incarnation).

3. The config.status scripts generated by the configure scrips
I have tested are not working (all Makefiles end up empty), but
I suspect that's some issue between autoconf and dash. So far it
has worked to run ./config.status from plain old non-64-cygwin
between configure and make.

Cheers,
Peter