Re: gcc-4.8 and libbacktrace

On May 27 10:45, Ryan Johnson wrote:
On May 27 10:11, Ryan Johnson wrote:
Hi all,

FYI, gcc-4.8 includes a new libbacktrace.a (BSD-licensed, I believe)
that uses dwarf unwind info to accurately unwind the stack.
Thoughts?
No, since you didn't say what you expect.  What is the end result you're
looking for, a libbacktrace package (Yes, SHTDI), or integration of the
backtrace stuff into Cygwin?  If the latter, that's impossible due to
licensing reasons.
The latter, so I guess it's a non-starter.

Out of curiosity, what aspect of the library's BSD license allows
gcc to use it but not cygwin?
Oh, BSD.  When I finished reading your email I had already forgotton,
so I assumed GPLv3+.

So, well, still, SHTDI (not me).  I'm just wondering if it's really
worth it.  For a normal backtrace we have the stackdump file, which is
acurate most of the time, for dwarf2-based backtraces you typically run
the executable under GDB.  And then, you need the debuginfo package as
well for this kind of debugging on distro packages.
Good point. Come to think of it, the already-available <unwind.h> functionality supplied by gcc gives most of the benefit (accurate, robust unwinding even when frame pointer was omitted, etc.). That would be easier to integrate, too, if it's not already there.

Ryan