This is the mail archive of the cygwin-licensing mailing list for the cygwin project.

Re: 1NIWGYC.DLL ??

Thanks for your feedback. As long as I understand, what I intend to do does not violate Cygwin
licensing.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 06:35:24PM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:

>Just renaming the DLL and registry keys is not enough to avoid
>conflicts with an existing cygwin1.dll.  You will also have to modifiy
>the name of the shared memory region and all other shared objects.

Ok. Renaming DLLs, registry references and shared memory name
(cygwin1S4??) would be worth to try then.

>It seems like there is no benefit to this distribution if the user is
>running cygwin anyway.  If they are running cygwin then they should just
>use the openssh that comes with cygwin.

I am not so sure about it. I am a dedicated cygwin user since early 90s.
However, I don't want to run an ssh daemon within my cygwin development
environment, where I might try/test many different things. What I want to is
to establish a secure channel to my machine remotely by using ssh daemon,
running its own limited and safe environment for the sake of security.
The same applies for an rsync environment where a crucial operation like a
remote backup can be initiated. I think those special environments require
their own setup.

>If this is really important, wouldn't it be better to work on providing
>a minimal openssh setup via a category in the current cygwin setup.exe?

That would be the best solution if it allows to establish separate environments.

>IMO, repackaging other people's stuff will usually lead to extra work
>for the repackager and confusion for the end user.

I believe that what I do does not complicate user's lives.
On the contrary, I suppose. Cygwin is a great solution.
Too great to be forced into one single environment.

>Cygwin is a community project.  You can make changes if you're
>persuasive enough and if you have the proper skills.

My contribution (!) is next to nothing in comparison to the work cygwin
developers do for the cygwin development. I just try to add some more
convenience. That's all :-))

Best regards

Tev