This is the mail archive of the cygwin-licensing mailing list for the cygwin project.

Re: 1NIWGYC.DLL ??

I was going to just let this go but, after talking to Corinna and
learning that we're on the same page about this, I guess I can't.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:47:17PM +0100, Tevfik Karag?lle wrote:
>Thanks for your feedback.  As long as I understand, what I intend to do
>does not violate Cygwin licensing.
>
>On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 06:35:24PM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
>
>>Just renaming the DLL and registry keys is not enough to avoid
>>conflicts with an existing cygwin1.dll.  You will also have to modifiy
>>the name of the shared memory region and all other shared objects.
>
>Ok.  Renaming DLLs, registry references and shared memory name
>(cygwin1S4??) would be worth to try then.
>
>>It seems like there is no benefit to this distribution if the user is
>>running cygwin anyway.  If they are running cygwin then they should
>>just use the openssh that comes with cygwin.
>
>I am not so sure about it.  I am a dedicated cygwin user since early
>90s.  However, I don't want to run an ssh daemon within my cygwin
>development environment, where I might try/test many different things.
>What I want to is to establish a secure channel to my machine remotely
>by using ssh daemon, running its own limited and safe environment for
>the sake of security.  The same applies for an rsync environment where
>a crucial operation like a remote backup can be initiated.  I think
>those special environments require their own setup.

You seem to have skipped over my observation that some cygwin
applications won't work very well in your 1NIWGYC.DLL environment.

I don't know what you mean by "cygwin development environment" but,
AFAIK, you are not developing the cygwin DLL.  If you are just
downloading the latest version of the cygwin distribution and don't want
to somehow destabilize your openssh setup then it seems like working
with the setup.exe and openssh maintainers is the best way to accomplish
this.

It really sounds like you are interested in providing workarounds for
what you perceive to be problems with the cygwin distribution rather
than working towards fixing the problems.  I suspect that your efforts
will just serve to confuse people and so I'm not happy with the way you
are proceeding and I will certainly publicly express my dissatisfaction
the first time someone posts a question about "your" version of openssh
and whatever-you-call-the-dll on the cygwin list.

So, yes, this is a GPL project and you can take the software, rename it
and massage it to do whatever you want with it.  That does not mean that
it is the right thing to do or that your efforts will be appreciated by
the people who are providing the software, however.

cgf