This is the mail archive of the cygwin-licensing mailing list for the cygwin project.

Re: Cygwin now licensed under GPLv3+

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 04:04:25PM +1000, Luke Kendall wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> What does that mean in terms of Cygwin components?
>>>

>> Corinna referenced a page:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/licensing.html
>>
>> which barely changed except to mention GPLv3.  This many-month old email
>> was just meant to announce that the Cygwin DLL and associated utilities
>> were moving from GPLv2 to GPLv3.
>
>Yes.

Again, there is nothing new here beyond 's/GPLv2/GPLv3'.

>>> Each component normally has its own license, so does the above
>>> statement mean that things like the Cygwin DLL and other Cygwin-only
>>> components are under GPLv3?
>>>

>> Red Hat did not suddenly assume the extralegal power to change the
>> licensing of other packages.
>
>Naturally.

And yet you are asking if somehow Red Hat had somehow assumed the
authority to change the licensing of packages that it doesn't own.  It
did not.

>And there are over 1,800 packages in Cygwin.  So I imagine that the
>change to the GPLv3+ has no effect on any of them.

It affects the Cygwin package which contains the DLL and other Cygwin
utilities found in the winsup directory.

cgf