Re: top posters

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:17:17PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> I've attached the last report I received.  It is a rather atypical report
>> because, discounting postmaster, which is full of spam (sigh, and I have
>> to read it), cygwin is not second after gcc-bugs.
>>                                          # of mail          Digest
>> List Name                                    notes Members Members
>> ---------                                --------- ------- -------
>> postmaster                                   10161       2       0
>
>10k messages per week huh, all spam/bounces/clueless people... boy that
>sounds like fun to wade through. </sarcasm>

It's 99.9999% spam mixed with:

Q: "You email say bounced and I cygwin need problem.  You suck."

A: "Please read the web link that was mentioned in your bounce message.
    It mentions what you need to do."

Q: "Tried that.  Your email suck.  You suck."

A: "You didn't follow the instructions because you are still sending html
    mail (or haven't sent mail to the global-allow or read what they need to
    do to unsubscribe).  Please follow the instructions."

In the sourcemaster list, I got a message from a guy who wanted me to update
the bottom of the main sourceware.org web page which says:

  Is it true that the first lunar landing was faked?
      Of course. Everyone knows that. See the PBS documentary about it,

He wanted me to update it with a link full of wild ravings about how the
lunar pictures were all doctored.  He kept demanding to speak with my
supervisor and threatening legal action.  He apparently didn't know what
the word fictitious was and kept insisting that Capricorn One was a
documentary because that's what it said on the web site.

In the end, I decided that he was either truely terminally clueless or
trolling but he made several attempts to demand more information before
he eventually stopped sending email -- even though he vowed to return with
the law on his side.

cgf