RE: Which Linux after CyGwin?

On Tuesday, October 05, 2004 11:24 AM, Brian Dessent wrote

> (Take this to cygwin-talk please.)
>
> "DePriest, Jason R." wrote:
>
>> If you do use
>> Debian, please don't use the 'stable' release.  It is very ancient
>> (but stable!).  Use the 'testing' release.  For the most part, you
>> won't have any problems and if you do have a problem, expect it to
>> be fixed quickly.
>
> That's a very slippery slope and disagrees sharply from the official
> Debian line.  You are strongly urged to NOT use "testing" in a
> production environment.  Why?  Because criticial security bug fixes
> are only guaranteed for "stable".  They occur for testing and
> unstable of course, but at a relaxed pace.  I think that you do a
> disservice by automatically stating that one should ignore "stable".
> At the very least point them to <http://www.debian.org/releases/> so
> that they can decide for themselves.
>
> It is entirely possible to run the stable branch without ancient
> versions of everything: <http://backports.org/>
>
> Brian

Much like one should probably not use Cygwin in a mission-critical
production environment.

I was not suggesting that zzapper run Debian GNU/Linux "testing" on a
mission critical server.

I did not think I had to specify.  He wants to use Linux on his "old
PC".  And he wants to dual boot it which means it won't even be running
the OS all the time.

If someone starts out with Debian "stable", they can quickly get the
impression that the project is old, outdated, and rarely updated.  This
is completely untrue, of course, but it can seem that way to someone
expecting a fancy GUI installer with lots of check boxes and buttons
instead getting dialog screens and applications that are a year old
(with applicable security patches applied).

I am not subscribed to cygwin-talk, so I guess this is the last of this
thread I'll see today.

-Jason

PS - I apologize in advance for the legal disclaimer at the bottom of my
email message.  This is tacked on by our SMTP gateway and I have no
control over it.

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery
of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.