RE: 4NT vs. Bash (Was Re: problem with find/grep)

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:

> At Tuesday, October 12, 2004 1:08 PM, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > Properly TITTTLing...

> >> Hokay, then I won't answer!!  I suspect this subject has been
> >> discussed several times in the past here, if I recall past perusal
> >> of the list... but there really *are* a few things that 4NT does
> >> better (or does at all) as opposed to Bash.
> >>
> >> I'll admit, tho, that if I hadn't already paid for 4DOS/4NT (over a
> >> decade ago, actually), I wouldn't buy it now, with Bash available
> >>     for free... Dan
> >
> > So, what *are* those things?  It'd be interesting to find out where
> > bash is deficient, and what tools could be used in Cygwin instead...
> > 	Igor
>
> See http://www.jpsoft.com/
> 4DOS ver. 7.5 has just been released for free.  It is 16 bit and says that
> it only runs on Win9x/Me, but I wonder if it might work in the NT DOS
> subsystem.
>
> These are replacement console shells for command.com or cmd.exe.  They have
> a lot more functionality than the MS programs; I'd put them as a lot closer
> to bash in functionality than command.com/cmd.exe.  in some ways they may be
> more functional than bash, in others less.  I'm still at ver. 5.5 so I
> really couldn't compare.

Barry,

I know what 4DOS is.  I was just wondering what features of 4DOS were
missing in bash.  "eset" was one of those mentioned.  Are there more?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw