Re: Serious performance problems (malloc related?)

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 03:55:50PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >You mean, like 2?  (Err, 3.  I mean, 4, or maybe 5..)
>> >
>> >I'm not sure this is a huge problem, you know..
>>
>> Just take a look at the number of people who have contributed to
>> cygwin-patches in the last year or so.  I wouldn't want to scare away
>> the people who contribute trivial patches because they can't find any
>> documentation on "NtCreateFile".
>>
>> I suppose *we* could produce documentation on the Nt* functions but
>> that's also a support burden.
>
>If the Cygwin team had to write 9x wrappers for the Nt* functions, some
>documentation would have to be part of the wrappers, wouldn't it?

The theory is that Nt knowledgeable pepole could maintain a backend Nt*
layer and everyone else could write to the standard Win32 API vs.
exposing the Nt layer to everyone and requiring that people figure out
the unfamiliar Nt* arguments if/when they want to make changes.

But, Corinna and I haven't finished discussing how this would work yet
so there are no guarantees how or if this will happen.

cgf