Re: xhippo

On Aug  9 21:43, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Brian Dessent wrote:
>
> >"Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:
> >

> >>It should be no problem to build ogg123 or other mp3 player for
> >>Cygwin, I wonder that nobody wanted to contribute things like
> >>this up to now.
> >

> >Probably because windows already has a gazillion native mp3 players
> >already.  I'm sure some of them have command line mode.
> >
> >There's also the nasty issue of the Fraunhofer mp3 patent.
>
> That is the reason why there exists ogg and friends, isn't it?

Btw., libogg and libvorbis compile practically OOTB on Cygwin,
even with working libtool and DLLs and stuff.  If anybody wants
to maintain the packages... [hint, hint]

I have prepared them for inclusion in the distro, but I'm reluctant
to maintain the packages because I have NADA clue about sound and
sound compression algorithms...

...well, except for the compressed sound of a human with a hippo
on top of it.

Corinna