Re: generic-build-script extension to update version numbers in README

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Max Bowsher wrote:
>
> > Christian Franke wrote:
> >
> > > What would you think about an autoconf-like approach generating a
> > > "package-VER.sh" script from some "package.sh.in" (yes, no version).
>
> [...]
>
> > It is a good idea, but I would avoid .in naming, since I think we will
> > want to go beyond simple autoconf-style variable substitution.
> >
> > I'm already doing programmatic editing of the g-b-s for my own packages.
> > Attached is 'gbsmunge.py', which reads a control file, and the
> > generic-build-script source, and outputs a build script munged according
> > to instructions in the control file.
> >
> > For illustrative purposes, here is the control file for my neon package:
> > =======
> > ConfigureArg --enable-shared
> > ConfigureArg --disable-static
> > ConfigureArg --with-ssl
> >
> > SubPackage libneon24-$VER-$REL.tar.bz2 usr/bin/cygneon-24.dll
> > =======
>
> Hey you guys, you're going to recreate whole package build management
> systems like debian has it, or gentoo, or even slackware.  What about
> a GUI for this?  Maybe based on Qt, so at least maintainers are forced
> to install and use at least 90% of all Cygwin packages which would
> increase usability over the years.

Yep, call it the "High Integration Package Production Orchestrator". :-D

At least it would cut down on complaints like "-How come FOO wasn't
compiled with support for BLAH? -Because the maintainer didn't have
libBLAH-devel installed, and autoconf didn't pick it up".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu