This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
Re: Where is cygwin bin directory?
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:40:15 -0500
- Subject: Re: Where is cygwin bin directory?
- References: <20051122183415.GB23653@trixie.casa.cgf.cx> <JAEBIEIILHAGMJNFODIEIEOGCBAA.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20051122210358.GC27219@trixie.casa.cgf.cx> <20051124161420.GA2560@efn.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com
- Reply-to: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 08:14:20AM -0800, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 04:03:58PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 09:58:18PM +0100, Hannu E K Nevalainen wrote:
>> >cgf wrote:
>> >> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 07:20:26PM +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>> >>> Is the path to Cygwin bin directory available in windows registry?
>> >>> It would be nice if it were there since that would make it easier to
>> >>> use Cygwin from other programs.
>> >> "man cygpath"
>> >> "man mount"
>> >- Windows style path
>> >$ cygpath -aw /bin
>> >Output, e.g: W:\cygwin\bin
>> >- Cygwin style path
>> >$ echo "$(cygpath -am /bin)" | \
>> >sed -re 's/^(..)(.*)$/\1;\2;-/' | \
>> >(IFS=";" read drive path garbage; \
>> >echo "$(cygpath -au "$drive")$path" )
>> >Output, e.g: /cygdrive/w/cygwin/bin
>> Referrring to the cygwin /bin directory as /cygdrive/w/cygwin/bin serves
>> no purpose.
>> To the OP - just use whatever cygpath options make sense. It's not that
>> hard and it certainly doesn't require anything like the gobbledegook
>> Or, if you just are just curious about what /bin translates to, use mount.
>I have to take exception to this post of cgf's. I mean, Really! How
>can you use that kind of language to people? It's gobbledegoop, not
>Oops, sorry; -gook seems to be canonical. Not the way I learned it
>though! But it is gobbledygook with a Y!
gobbledegook is acceptable. I did look it up before I sent the email.