Re: FW: cygwin-1.dll long-time bug

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:13:38PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>where Mark Russinovich says
>
>"As for the issues looking at threads, the problem is a Cygwin behavior
>that's incompatible with the Windows API,
>RtlQueryProcessDebugInformation, that Process Explorer uses to obtain
>the list of modules loaded into a process.  That API injects a thread
>into the remote process to query the loader data structures.  The
>target process DLLs get a DLL_THREAD_ATTACH notification, which causes
>some Cygwin DLL thread to hang and the RtlQueryProcessDebugInformation
>to never return."

So, rather than saying "I wonder why Cygwin would hang when a thread is
injected?" the conclusion is that "Cygwin behavior which is incompatible
with the Windows API" and the fix is to "thread injection gracefully".

I don't see what more there is to say on the subject.  Clearly with just
a little more grace, Cygwin's problems would be solved.

cgf