RE: .exe.stackdump and core dump files questions

On 24 November 2006 13:25, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

[thread properly TITTTL'd for reasons of bock-bock-bock-baaaagaaaaaawk!]

>> Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 22:43:45 +0100
>> From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin

>>> Do you think to be fun? or that a sequence of HEX characters are
>>> human-readable?
>>
>> There's nothing funny here.  The stackdump file is human-readable
>> and there's no more information.  If you want more information
>> you need a debugger and executables built with debugging information.
>
> It really is NOT funny: it's perfectly clear what Angelo was asking
> for, even though English is evidently not his first language.  Instead
> of helping him, like the other 2 respondents did, Chris decided to
> mock him in public -- a terribly unfriendly and unprofessional thing
> to do, which doesn't add any respect to this forum.

  Just because it isn't very funny doesn't mean it was mocking.  Or even that
it was /meant/ to be mocking, since intent and consequences are not always one
and the same.

  It's facetious to attempt to infer someone's state of mind and motivation
from a single line of text with only four words in it, many would consider
that far too small a sample to be statistically valid.  But, hey, I *am*
pretty facetious, so I'm going to try![*]

  My *guess* (because 'guess' is all that any of us have been doing so far) is
that cgf saw the post, saw that it had already been answered with all the
relevant information, and didn't see why not to post a "ha-ha-only-serious"
type of quickfire humorous comeback.  Which fell flat on its face, but it's a
long reach from there to "mocking".

[*] - plus I've got fifty qatloos riding on it on a side-bet :)