Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] copy-paste

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 04:31:28PM +0100, Michael Schaap wrote:
>On 9-Mar-2007 16:00, Dave Korn wrote:
>>On 09 March 2007 14:46, Michael Schaap wrote:
>>

>>>Just hippothesizing, but it might be that the adding of '[ANNOUNCEMENT]'
>>>to the subject isn't actually Nabble's fault.  After all, there's one
>>>other situation where this happens: cygwin-announce messages get
>>>forwarded to the main cygwin list, with a mangled Subject: header.
>>>Could it be that the script that does the mangling is somehow triggered
>>>for messages coming from Nabble as well?
>>>

>>  Well, anything's possible, but I would imagine the script that does the
>>mangling is triggered by the 'To:' line containing 'cygwin-announce'...
>>

>Hopefully, the script in question uses something a bit more reliable
>than the To: header.  The Mailing-List: header comes to mind, for
>instance.  And it's entirely possible that Nabble manages to send
>messages with a wacky Mailing-List: header to the Cygwin list, which
>makes the script thinks it's a forwarded announcement.
>
>It's just a theory, I mean, hippothesis, but to me in sounds no more
>unlikely than that Nabble somehow does this when sending out the
>message, but not in its own archive.
>
>(cgf, any comments?)

I'm wondering why anyone would think that the script would be adding an
"[ANNOUNCEMENT]" after a "Re:".

Somehow the user magically was able to figure out how to not put the
ANNOUNCEMENT string in their subject so I still suspect user
cluelessness.

(I'm also wondering why this is cc'ed to the cygwin list)

cgf