Re: The Big List of Dodgy Apps

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Dave Korn wrote:

>   I know that we've discussed keeping a FAQ entry for this list before,
> and IIRC there was a preference against it...

Heh.  I was about to reply to your email on cygwin@ with "Is that list in
the FAQ, and if not, doesn't it belong there?".  Do you have a reference
for the thread with that discussion?  Even if it doesn't belong in the
FAQ, it seems to me that it would be good to have this somewhere on the
Cygwin website.

> so I've been keeping a running count in my head for a while now, and
> asking people "do you have any of ...." when they turn up with
> miscellaneous fork failures.  Anyway, FTA and JFTR, here is what I
> currently have on my list.  If anyone spots any obvious omissions,
> please drop a reply.
>
> Sonic Solutions burning software containing DLA component
>
> Norton/MacAffee/Symantec antivirus or antispyware

IIRC, only specific versions were buggy...

> Logitech webcam software with "Logitech process monitor" service
>
> Kerio, Agnitum or ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall

Ditto here.

> Iolo System Mechanic/AntiVirus/Firewall
>
> LanDesk

I may be wrong, but I thought this was really part of some Symantec
AntiVirus package...

> Windows Defender

Thanks for posting this list, BTW.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin