Re: SNR calculations (was Re: setup.exe missing from FTP site)

On May 30 09:32, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2007, Warren Young wrote:
>
> > Dave Korn wrote:
> > >   Say, what is the square of a photon, anyway?
> >
> > One way to square photons is to make them pass through a sufficiently
> > small square hole in an opaque plate.  The squared photons will undergo
> > a diffraction distortion, so whether the resulting value is 1 or 0
> > (photons visible or not) will depend on the angle between the hole and
> > your observation apparatus.
> >
> > The basic technique has already been studied.  You can see a simulation
> > of the results here:
> >
> > 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Square_diffraction.jpg
>
> My notion of a square photon is a photon that would not fit into a
> photon-sized round hole.  I don't believe there is a way to achieve that
> via diffraction...

What if the square photon isn't as powerful (lower frequency) as the
round photon for which the round photon hole has been designed in the
first place?  Is it too far-fetched to assume that in this case the
diagonal size is less than the diameter of the hole?

Just a hippothesis...

Corinna