Will a program run without blocking gui thread?

I've been spamming the boost list with a problem apparently linked to a cygwin
g++ version. Then someone over there posted this question,

locked by another thread, can you show me additional example about how
to let a thread immediately exit when it found a mutex object is being
used?  i mean that one of thread in our application is actually the
GUI main thread, it will access the shared data in it's OnIdel event
handler, so i hope it will be never blocked, when resources are not

Can anyone tell me if a GUI will run WITHOUT someone able to block
the "main thread" waiting for a non-existent lock? I thought this
was a requirement. ROFLMAO.

Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star power. http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=starshuffle_hotmailtextlink2_oct