Re: FW: Customize setup program.

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 12:59:57PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 05 November 2007 12:44, Hussein Patwa wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've never really took that close of a look at the cygwin installer, but
>
> "I don't know anything about what we're talking about".
>
>> I do know that all of the 'major' installers (installshield, nullsoft,
>> etc) usually have a /Q or /S switch for silent installs.  You would then
>
>  "Here's some generic advice based on how I imagine things ought to be in an
>imaginary ideal world".
>
>> need to define a config file with all the parameters for the install.
>
>  "If my random supposition had any basis in reality, this would be the
>consequence of it".
>
>> I'm thinking
>
>  Remains to be seen ...
>
>> I'm thinking maybe you do the install manually, find the setup.ini (or
>> whichever) file is created with the install log and use that as a
>
>  "Here, let me jam two unrelated concepts together and hypothesize a
>non-existent reverse-temporal-causality relation between them, because even I
>realise that without that somehow happening, I would be talking nonsense".
>
>> starting point.
>>
>> Someone will probably be along with a more definitive answer, but
>> hopefully this is somewhat in the ball park for what you're looking for.
>
>  "I know nothing about the topic and don't have any useful information, so
>here's some irrelevant/incorrect/useless/misleading information instead, in
>the hope that it could somehow be helpful."
>
>  *sip* *headdesk* *sip* *headdesk* *sip* <cuts own wrists>

But, what an opportunity!  If he had been right, he would have been a guru.

This would have all sorts of real-world applications.

"I'm not a brain surgeon but if the brain is at all similar to my computer
then toggling the right ear up and down probably will fix that epilepsy."

"I haven't taken a close look at democracy but I do know that major countries
are controlled by large corporations, fear, and misinformation so if you want
to run a country I'd look there first.  That's probably the best way to handle
a democracy."

See also: http://images.google.com/images?q=caveman+lawyer

cgf