Re: [OT] Re: GNU screen hangs

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 12:32:30PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>> One more time wrote:
>>> Ah, censorship.
>> zOMG we is suppressing your freedumb of speach! O noes! Call for the
>> WAAAAH-bulance!
>
> Yes, freedum of spiech is being censored as in "I want to use your forum
> to say what I want however I want.  You won't let me so I will show what
> a deep thinker I am by changing my email address and sending more
> insulting email."

  I hung on NANAE for a few years back in the 90s and we got this argument all
the time... generally the next step is spurious threats of legal action aka.
"cartooneys".  The response is a game of Lumber Cartel (tinlc) variant
Scissors, Paper, Rock - or "Spammer's Nad, Spammer's Other Nad, Mallet" as we
call it in the Lumber Cartel (tinlc).  That's usually enough to provoke a full
on mouth-foaming carpet-gnawing rubber-room meltdown, at which point everyone
can declare "WIN" and start to lose interest in the new chew-toy.

>> Ha ha, no.  Sure, they laughed at Galileo, they laughed at Copernicus,
>> they laughed at Columbus and Newton and Einstein.
>>
>> But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
>
> LOL.  This is one of the funniest things I've ever read here.

  Credit must be given to Carl Sagan for the original which I slightly mangled
there.  But who remembers who invented the steamboat these days anyway?

> I didn't realize that this was somebody we were supposed to know either.

  A random net.kook on a deranged mission to set the world to rights?  How
could you possibly not realise the vital significance of his Quixotic crusade?

> As part of the pattern of these things go, I received a private message
> from this notable that began with:
>
> "Oh, I know who you are: a dick that has been given too much power.  A
> freetard, and part of the FOSScracy at that."

  Hah!  The use of the word freetard strongly suggests Mr. I'm-Not-A-Sheeple
here gets all his "original thinking" straight out of an Andrew Orlowski article!

> I'm blushing because I actually found it kind of flattering to be
> thought of as FOSScracy.  Now I'm even more flattered because I didn't
> know that I'd been complimented by someone famous.
>
> I have to say that Mr.  McFly here fits the pattern of mailing list kook
> very precisely.  I'd expect much more original thinking from such a
> visionary.

  I thought his invocation of the First Amendment sat somewhat amusingly at
odds with his racially-stereotyped opinion of Americans.  Maybe he was just
trying to demonstrate the meaning of irony for all y'all humour-impaired Yankees?

> I no longer marvel at the sheer idiocy of being given software for free
> and then either don't listen to or actually insult people who are trying
> to help.  It's a sad commentary on something that this pattern is so
> prevlant.  But, then, again, this kind of behavior is not the rule so
> I guess that's encouraging.
>
> But, then, the original bug report of "screen hangs sometimes" was not
> likely result in much in-depth debugging anyway.

  Oh, but it was a much more in-depth report than that!  Full of vitally
relevant details, like "everything's broken" and "completely unusable" and
"aaarrgggghh I hate you you're so UNFAIR!"

>> Face the facts: I have never met or heard of you before; it's entirely
>> down to the unpleasant tone of your first post and your subsequent
>> descent into full-on trollhood.  I am not following any herd, I made my
>> own mind up, and long before you started being deliberately rude for no
>> reason over the issue of quoting people's email addresses; it's
>> precisely because I have an independent mind that I think you're a
>> jerk.
>
> Well, I wasn't sure.  I'm more of a follower.  But if that's what Dave
> thinks, it's good enuff for me.

  Hell, if it all comes back on us, I'm going to say it was the *other* Dave
Korn.  It's always easy to blame stuff on AT+T anyway.