Re: Fix for XFree86

Hi,

I'm now in the process of downloading of your new sources,
and haven't seen the changes.
So, please forgive me if I miss the point.

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:49:14 -0400
"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <Ssiddiqi@InspirePharm.Com> wrote:

> I will also post the precompiled X11R6.3 libraries (libs and DLLs)
> for B20.1.  As you noticed, a preinstalled version of DLLs and libs
> are required for getting around some compiling issues.

Hmm...

I think it's not necessary to have libX11.dll in /usr/X11R6.3/bin.
As I wrote, it should be found in xc/exports/bin, as libX11.a in
xc/exports/lib.

Actually, all the binaries under xc/programs are built using libraries
in xc/exports/lib, which is populated by the preceding build process
of xc/lib.
If the platform supports true static linking, the generated binary
can run in its own right.
However, in cygwin, libX11.a is only a placeholder, meaning that
the generated binary still requires libX11.dll to run.

So, IMHO, putting generated DLLs into xc/exports/bin during the build
process is better than distributing another huge tarball for
precompiled DLLs.
This can be easily done, and I required no preinstalled libX11.dll.

How do you think about it?

Regards,
---------
Takayuki TAMURA (ttathome@remus.dti.ne.jp)