Re: Fix for XFree86

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 07:25:58 -0400
"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <Ssiddiqi@InspirePharm.Com> wrote:

> > I think it's not necessary to have libX11.dll in /usr/X11R6.3/bin.
> > As I wrote, it should be found in xc/exports/bin, as libX11.a in
> > xc/exports/lib.
>
> During compilation, DLLs are not moved to xc/exports/libs.

My patch changes this situation :-)
(DLLs should be in xc/exports/bin, from which some programs are launched.)

> The Makefiles contains -L/usr/X11R6.3/lib.

And also -L../../exports/lib, which has precedence over -L/usr/X11R6.3/lib.
See LDPRELIBS and LDPOSTLIBS in Makefile.

> If you want to have DLLs in export/lib directory, you can move
> them manually??

No!
Currently, whenever libfoo.dll is built, libfoo.a is also built and
linked to xc/exports/lib automagically.
We need a little more hack to add.

> > If the platform supports true static linking, the generated binary
> > can run in its own right.
>
> Theoretically yes.  But X11 system is based up shared libraries (i.e. *.so), right?
>
> > However, in cygwin, libX11.a is only a placeholder, meaning that
> > the generated binary still requires libX11.dll to run.
> >

> Same applied to UNIX too.  On UNIX you need libX11.so, instead of DLLs, am I right?

Agreed.
So the other platforms, I think, require similar hack to handle this,
possibly LD_LIBRARY_PATH trick, because I compiled XFree86 on FreeBSD
without preinstalled libraries.
(I will investigate it later.)

> I feel good about it :-)  Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks.

I don't mean to stick to this problem any more, because our primary goal
is to obtain a free X server, not a whole XFree86 stuff.
Let's revisit the problem when we are ready to discuss the packaging
issue (only if source distribution is important) :-)

Regards,
Takayuki TAMURA (ttathome@remus.dti.ne.jp)