RE: Driver for X11

> I read some more on this.  Most things (video memory for
> sure) can be gotten
> using Direct X.  I'm not sure about the IO Ports.   I
> have to read the DX
> docs on that.  I am sure there is a way..  None of this
> should be to hard to
> do.

Yes, it is true that video memory issue can be handle with DirectX.
The XF86SUP.SYS driver is as an example for you and others, so you
could come up with your ideas on how to achive those functionalities
more
efficiently on Win32

> My biggest question is, do we want to load this driver at
> boot up, as a
> windows driver, as a cygwin driver, or as part of the X
> initialization?

On OS/2 the driver loads at the boot time.  He explained it one of
his messages, which is also posted on Cygwin-Xfree URL.

> I'm thinking that it should be associated with cygwin,
> and load up with the
> cygwin.dll - or load up with X..

No it should not be associated with Cygwin or Cygwin1.dll otherwise
you would be sacrifiying performance.  We will need to add needed to
code in
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/os-support/cygwin.  This code will call the
driver when needed.  I would send you Holger's code from
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/os-support/os2, which could server as an
example on how he achived it.

> I also need to find out what he's patching in X in
> memory..   Is he patching
> the source, or the memory locations?  I have to look into
> the X side..

Will send you his code from X-server which uses this driver as
example.
It will help you understand how it is used.

Suhaib