Re: FW: XF86SUP.SYS

John Fortin <fortinj@ibm.net> wrote:

> 	Thanks for the responses.  I've been looking at this mostly from
> another viewpoint.  The work I have been doing is creating a
> DirectX interface for GGI, and then be able to run XGGI from that.
> I have gotten almost all the GGI functionality working under
> Full-screen DX.

Once you get that going, it would make sense to try and merge the GGI
stuff directly into the server. Specifically you will want to try and
eliminate the function call overheads to the GGI layers if they are
being called from any of the actual drawing code.

However I do believe this is the best approach to getting this
working. The GGI driver is a chipset driver, and already has all the
direct hardware support stripped out of it.

> 	However, I believe that Mike can take the libraries I have
> written, and interface them.  Including setting the mode and pixel
> depth.

Yep, it should be possible to do that.

> There is much more to be done, including (possible??) using the 3d
> primitives in a 2d fashion and gaining the hardware accel there.

That is a possibility, but not everyone has a 3D accelerator
(although it these days most people do ;-). That is one way that you
can get access to hardware lines via DirectX, but the 3D stuff won't
allow you to do hardware pattern fills or text (something that is
still missing from DirectDraw). However DirectX 8.0 has a lot of this
stuff coming down the pipe, as MS is trying to integrate the
functionality of DirectX and GDI for their new GDI 2K stuff.

> 	The only part I really have left is the keyboard/mouse interface
> (using Direct Input, of course).

A couple of people have already mentioned that Win32 versions of the
X input handling stuff already exists in a few places. Perhaps using
their code can get that done quickly.

Regards,

|   SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!     |
| Kendall Bennett          | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com    |
| Director of Engineering  | Phone: (530) 894 8400              |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | Fax  : (530) 894 9069              |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com         |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com  |