Re: Question about X-term

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 07:01:38AM -0700, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
> > I don't think the official cygwin release includes a termcap file.
>
> Yes there is one.  Which Cygwin are you using? B19, B20, Version 1.0,
> version 1.1.0??

The latest net release, 1.1.0 I suppose.  I'm also using the
usr-local tarball from cygutils, but other than that it's mostly a
clean install.

> > Not on my Win95 installation of x11r6.3.  I'm seeing the same thing.
> > (The mirror site I used still doesn't have 6.4, so this might have
> > changed.)
>
> There is no X11R6.3 package, any more, available from
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/xfree
>
> Which mirror site did you use?  Did you try Cygwin/Xfree Home Page at
> the above mentioned URL?

No, I didn't originally try Cygnus's ftp server.  The
ftp.susite.utk.edu/pub/cygwin mirror has a reasonably up-to-date
copy of the "latest" directory, but I guess its copies of xfree are
ancient.

The Cygnus site isn't accepting connections right now, but I'll get
6.4 when it does and let you know if that one is also behaving
weirdly.

> > In any case, the rxvt program from the cygutils site works fine for
> > me as a substitute.
> > (http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/rxvt-2.6.1/index.html)
>
> I thought rxvt is from Buba???  The rxvt should not require an X-server
> if that is the correct version as distributed by it's original author.
> Since that version does not need X11 libs you should not see C locale
> and termcap entry warning and/or errors.

I think it's C. Wilson's port.  I'm actually setting DISPLAY to send
it over to the X-server on my Linux box.  I haven't yet tried
running a server off Windows, but I'd love to see how that works. ;)

Thanks,
-Kevin