RE: XWin Direct Draw error

> The DirectX home page says 7.0a, that I have, is the latest. Is
> there a 7.1
> somewhere?

Sorry NO.  I guess I am still sleeping.  MSDN site has only DirectX 7.0 SDK
Did you try executing some of the sample DirectX and DirectInsput
executables which comes with DiirectX.  I do not have access to Windows95.

Doing a search in MSDN Subscription site.  I found the following article.
The cause of the problem could be misconfigured monitor, incompatible
video driver, i.e. a video driver which cannot handle direct draw Create
Surfce.

Read the following from MSDN.  I am cuting nad pasting here:

> >  BTW: is there a 233 MHz PIII?  or do you mean Pentium only?
>
> You're right its just a pentium

I will check speed problem.  Is the X-servers take too long to start
or opening remote Display is slow?

Suhaib

> Nick.

Links & Access Games Err Msg: DirectDraw Init Failed

----

Links LS 1998 Edition
Links LS 1999 Edition
Microsoft Links LS 2000
Tex Murphy: Overseer

----

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to start any of the programs listed at the beginning of
this article, you may receive the following error message:

DirectDraw Init Failed

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if any of the following conditions is true:

Your monitor is not configured correctly.

Another program has locked the display resolution of your monitor.

The video driver installed on the computer is incompatible with Microsoft
DirectX.

The video driver installed on the computer does not support a color palette
higher than 256 colors.

The video adapter installed in the computer does not meet the minimum
requirements to run the game.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the following troubleshooting methods in the
order in which they are presented.

Verify that the Video Adapter Meets the Minimum System Requirements
Consult the printed documentation provided with your video adapter to verify
that the video adapter supports a screen resolution of at least 800x600
pixels with a 16-bit or higher color palette.
Adjust the Microsoft Windows Display Settings
To adjust the display settings, use the appropriate method for your version
of Windows.
Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows 98
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Display.

Click the Settings tab.

Move the Desktop Area or Screen Area slider to the 800 x 600 pixels setting.

In the Color Palette or Colors box, click High Color (16 bit).

Click Advanced Properties or Advanced.

On the Monitor tab, make sure your monitor is selected. If an incorrect
monitor is selected, or if a standard or unknown monitor is selected, click
Change.

Click the manufacturer and model of your monitor, and then click OK.

NOTE:If you are using Microsoft Windows 98, click Change, click Next, click
Display a list of all drivers in a specific location, so you can select the
driver you want, and then click Next.

Click the appropriate driver for your monitor, click Next, clickNext again,
and then click Finish.

Click Close, and then click OK.

Close Control Panel.

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click Display.

Click the Settings tab.

Move the Desktop Area slider to the 800 x 600 pixels setting.

In the Color Palette box, click 65536 colors, and then click Test.

Click OK, and then click Yes.

Click OK, and then close Control Panel.

Obtain an Updated Video Driver
If the issue continues to occur, contact your hardware manufacturer for
information about how to obtain and install the latest version of the video
driver for your video adapter.

For information about how to contact your hardware manufacturer, click the
appropriate article number below to view the article in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:
Q65416 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, A-K

Q60781 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, L-P

Q60782 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, Q-Z
Clean Boot Your Computer
To clean boot your computer, use the appropriate method for your version of
Windows.
Windows 98
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools,
and then click System Information.

On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility.

On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the
following check boxes:

Process Config.sys File
Process Autoexec.bat File
Process Winstart.bat File (if available)
Process Win.ini File
Load Startup Group Items

Click OK. When you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.

NOTE: To restore your original Startup options, click Normal Startup on the
General tab in the System Configuration Utility tool.

For additional information about how to clean boot Windows 98, please see
the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
Windows 95
Restart the computer. When you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, press
the F8 key, and then select Command Prompt Only from the Startup menu.

At the command prompt, type win, and then press ENTER. Press and hold down
the SHIFT key until the Windows startup sequence is complete. This prevents
any programs from being loaded automatically when Windows starts.

Quit all running programs except Explorer and Systray, which are components
of Windows. To do this:

Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE.

Click the program you want to quit, and then click End Task.

If you receive a message that the program is busy or not responding, click
End Task again.

Repeat this step until you have quit all programs except Explorer and
Systray.

Disable any anti-virus or disk tool programs installed on the computer. For
information about how to disable these programs, see the printed or online
documentation for the program.

For additional information about how to clean boot Windows 95, please see
the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q177604 Multimedia: Troubleshooting Using Clean Boot of Windows 95

MORE INFORMATION
For additional information about how to resolve this issue on a Microsoft
Windows NT 4.0-based computer, click the article number below to view the
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q230078 Links LS 98 Err Msg: DirectDraw Init Failed on Windows NT 4.0
For additional information about how to resolve this issue in Links LS 2000,
click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:
Q261450 Links LS 2000: Screen Turns Black or Game Quits While Loading a
Course

Additional query words: access direct-x tmos linksls golf direct draw error
crash animation build

Version : WINDOWS:; WINDOWS|MACINTOS:
Platform : WINDOWS WINDOWS|MACINTOS
Issue type : kbprb