linking problem with glut

I have problems linking programs with the glut library that is distribured
with Xfree (/usr/X11R6/static-lib/libglut.a).

1. This library is masked by the one included in the cygwin distribution
(/usr/lib/libglut.a), which I had to rename to oldlibglut.a for having g++
to search /usr/X11R6/static-lib/libglut.a (with -L/usr/X11R6/static-lib
-lglut). No big deal.

2. This library lacks several functions: glutBitmapWidth, glutGetModifiers,
glutSetCursor, glutBitmapHelvetica12, to name a few.

3. Linking against /usr/lib/libglut.a instead doesn't seems to work. It
produces a long list of undefined symbols (almost all glut functions). I
checked it with the nm utility; it says /usr/lib/libglut.a is supposed to
contain the missing definitions, but ld can't resolve them.

So, does anybody has compiled a more recent version of the glut library ?

André Bleau, ing., analyste
email: bleau at courriel dot polymtl dot ca
(Fight SPAM: encode your email-address)

Département de génie électrique et         Electric Engineering and
de génie informatique                      Computer Engineering department
École Polytechnique de Montréal            Montreal Polytechnic School