RE: XWin on Win95

> So what does '-screen 0 ....' mean; 0 screens?! If I use a value of 1 or 8
> (haven't tried others) I still get the Direct Draw error, but if
> I use 0, I
> get the X hatched background but my PC locks up, requiring a hard
> reset. The
> mouse is dead and ctrl-alt-del does nothing.
>
> Is there anything else I could try?

Screen 0 is screen # o, screen 1 is screen #1.  numbers above 8 should
crash x-server, because it it can open upto screen numbers 8.  numbers 8 and
blow
should not cause server lock up.

Are you sure, you have XErrorDX and XKeysymDB in
X:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11?

make sure it is not missing like rgb.txt file!

If it is there, and your Win98 is not reading it, you can set XKeysymDB and
XErrorDB
ENV in autoexec.bat file, e.g.

set XKeysymDB=C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\XKeysymDB
set XErrorDB=C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\XErrorDB

Reboot after saving changes to autoexec.bat file.

Suhaib