RE: SGI OpenGL SI libs updated

> >Suhaib
>
> I am now able to link my glut-based apps, thanks.

Good to hear that.

> Remark: there is already a GL directory in /usr/X11R6/include (from
> xfree-4.0-devel.tar.bz2); should the one in sgi-opengl.tar.bz2
> replace it ?

Your choice.  The one in xfree-4.0, is default from xfree86 4.0 and is
actually Mesa3D, not SGI OpenGL.

> When un-taring sgi-opengl.tar, it refuses to overwrite files in
> /usr/X11R6/include (permission denied).

I cannot help you with this.  It is your Cygwin setup issue, or your
Windows setup issue... has nothing to do with GL untaring.

>I renamed /usr/X11R6/include/GL
> /usr/X11R6/include/oldGL to un-tar succesfully; is that right ?
> There were
> 3 extra files in /usr/X11R6/include/GL from xfree-4.0-devel.tar.bz2:
> glxint.h glxmd.hg and glxproto.h .

Yes, even 2 more glxext.h and glext.h.  These are the new from SGI OSS
with latest header modifications.

This OpenGL SI 1.2.1 and GLX `1.3.

> I tried to run my glut examples on Xwin; I got an error message
> saying that
> the OpenGL GLX extension was not supported by my display. I stopped Xwin,
> edited startxwin.bat to add -x GLX at the end of the Xwin line and rerun
> startxwin.bat; xwin crashed. Was is the status of GLX support in XWin ?

NO GLX support at the moment.  OpenGL extension had been disabled at the
moemnt.
It is buggy and buggy like a HELL in XFree86 4.0, which caused a lot of
grief
for Linux users.  Beside, we have to a lot of code modifications if we have
to support
DirectX rendering and GLX rendering both.  Third, DRI will never work
through SGI
so why bother with software rendering , when you can statically link the glx
to your app
and run it.  I have done it 10 times...

> BTW, I think that startxwin.bat should be updated to add
> C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin or something like it instead of
> \usr\bin\X11 which
> doesn't exists anymore.

No idea why \usr\bin\X11 got in startxwin.bat... \usr\bin is specific for
MSVC compiled
X...

> Another bug: I switched from Xwin to the Windows desktop using Alt-Tab;
> when I returned to Xwin, the keyboard was no longer working properly;
> either it was adding 128 to the ASCII value of what I was typing or it
> didn't type anything.

I made a note of this.  The next release of xwin, under development will
a big step forward:

1) Better Win95/98 support
2) Multi-Windows
3) Better integration into Win32 desktop.

keep your finger crossed for a near future release... no date set for it.

> One last little thing. Should we worry about these messages in
> the Xwin CMD
> window ?
>
> scheduling timer: Invalid argument
> _XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root

No you should not worry.  Just clsoe your eyes, and do not read when they
show up.

> I am using Windows 2000.

Me too.  I am runing Win2K with SR1.  Well SR1 is available only to few
selects
from Micrsoft so do not e-mail me where to get it.

Suhaib